It's that week. The week between Christmas and the New Year. All the presents are opened. We're eating leftover turkey, ham and sweet potatoes, and we're dealing with that “in-between” feeling. Now is a good time of year to work on your station's website and social media pages and get them tuned up for 2017. Need help? Here's a quick checklist to follow:
• Make sure your contact info is up to date. Check your site and social media pages. Especially the social media pages. Make sure your phone number, email address and physical address info is correct.
• Are your brand colors and logos current on all pages? Don't stop at your home page. Make sure your brand carries through the entire site.
• Check the staff member/on-air team page. Are the photos up to date? The bios? Email/contact info?
• Check for broken links. There's nothing more frustrating clicking on an interesting article and getting the “404” message. Fix or delete those broken links and missing pages.
• Clear the cobwebs. Does your last blog entry date back to 2015? Earlier? Maybe it's time to update it. Or ask yourself the hard question: has anyone read this and do I need to get rid of it.
• Create an editorial calendar for 2017. If you have events scheduled for the first quarter of 2017, take a couple of hours this week to schedule web articles, social media posts and design needs. Better yet, set up a template for how all of this will look online, then you can fill in the blanks with fresh information throughout the rest of the year.
Your online platform is just as important as your on-air platform. Make sure to treat it with the same care and attention you give to your on-air bits, breaks and programming.
Bill Arbuckle CMW