What's the next big promotion on your calendar? You've probably got Back to School events listed somewhere close to the top. As you start planning, here are a few ideas that can help you get ready for the new school year.
1) Ask this question: What can we do to become our listeners' number one resource for Back to School? The answer to that might take a good bit of work. That's why it's important to start now. Maybe you take the time to reach out to school principals and administrators to offer your station's services. Post announcements on your social media channels. Dedicate a section of your web site to school resources – calendars, shopping lists and school supply needs.
2) Promote student health and safety: Let's face it, today's students face some unusually tough issues. Cyber-bullying is one of those issues. Immaturity and social media make for a volatile mix. Maybe we can do something to help. Feature some interviews and podcasts with experts who can help parents guide their kids through some rough waters. What other topics can you address?
3) Use your social media channels to get moms connected. Invite your local MOPS group to host a live online chat. Turn your Twitter feed into an encouragement channel – ask parents to share what keeps them going.
4) Talk about nutrition – What recipes or power snacks help students thrive throughout the school year. Bonus points for anything that steers kids way from Monster drinks and Red Bull!
5) Promote clothing exchanges, school supply drives or other events that offer free – or reduced cost – supplies. Mom will love you for showing her ways to save money. Contact churches and community groups who host these types of events and help them with promotions.
You can't do everything. But you can look for ways to show listeners that you care about their kids. Parents – especially moms – will appreciate knowing that you're a on their side as they get started in the coming school year.